- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil, divided
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) uncooked multigrain spaghetti
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and yellow squash; cook and stir until tender. Remove from pan.
- In same pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, eggplant and mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Stir in oregano, parsley and half of the basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain; add spaghetti and squash to vegetable mixture. Drizzle with remaining oil; toss to combine. Top with cheese and remaining basil. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forRustic Summer Vegetable Pasta
"Love this recipe! We had almost all the ingredients in our garden, and this is such a delicious way to make them disappear. My nearest and dearest asked for bell peppers. Peppers with eggplant? It worked. It's also a very good recipe for the slow cooker."
"This was my first time ever cooking with eggplant, and I enjoyed it although my husband didn't much care for it and picked out his eggplant pieces. More leftovers for me :-)"
"Enjoyed a good dish for vegetarians."
"It was delicious & healthy; lots of vegetables! As the sauce simmered, I added some water to it, as it seemed a bit thick (I had LOTS of vegetables!)."
"I thought that the fresh herbs gave this a nice flavor, and it was nice to have a wide variety of vegetables for a light summer meal. I did substitute the eggplant for one more zucchini in the first step since my husband hates zucchini. I added the zucchini and summer squash to the dish at the end as part of the "vegetable mixture.""
"This recipe was pretty good. I liked all the veggies but added slices of sausage for the carnivores in my family. The only thing I would change would be to reduce the red pepper flakes to 1/4 or 1/2 tsp. We all felt the heat overwhelmed the nice flavors of the veggies."
"This recipe make me anxious for summer! The fresh herbs, garden veggies and tomato sauce was fantastic! I added some garlic salt to season the vegetables a little more."
"When do you add the zucchini and yellow summer squash back in?"