- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups rye flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Stir in brown sugar, molasses, caraway seeds, oil, salt and remaining water. Add rye flour, whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each into a round loaf; place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Remove from pan to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Reviews forRustic Rye Bread
"Where can I find rye flour? I've looked in all 13 stores here in town and no one has it. I want to try this receipe because it looks like one that I loved in Sweden."
"I haven't made this yet but I'm going to. I want to make this in a Breadmaker. I have bread Machine yeast in a jar. How many teaspoons or tablespoons would I need for this recipe???????? Please help! You can even email me with your answer- Tom, - [email protected] Thanks, please hurry I love a good Rye bread!!!!!!!"
"couple of questions...is Rye flour easily purchased? Not sure I've eve seen it in my local supermarket. Also, could this be baked on a stone? Thanks in advance."
"My husband says this is the best bread recipe we have ever made and trust me we have baked a great number of breads. We made this exactly as recipe states."