Rustic Round Herb Bread
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In another bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt and milk. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Spoon into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 185 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Sep 23, 2013
I made this to go with soup for my family and it was excellent. It went together very fast, uses ingredients that I usually have on hand, and tastes great. We will be enjoying this bread again soon!
Dec 1, 2012
OMG, this is incredible. It comes together so quick and is excellent. The texture is moist and airy and the flavor is wonderful. I will be making this often in the future. Will go well with anything, Italian dishes, salad, soup, and just for eating alone (yes, it's that good!)
Aug 29, 2012
i didn't care for this at all. It was grainy and i could taste the baking soda.
May 10, 2011
The only problem I have with this bread is that I want it all for myself!I have subbed sour cream if I find I'm out of yogurt with great results.
Mar 15, 2010
Similar to a cheesy drop biscuit
May 22, 2009
This is excellent...don't be afraid to try whole wheat flour instead of white if you try to follow a whole grain diet.
Dec 16, 2008
I made this in mass quantity to serve 200! It turned out just as good as if I made it for 10. It is a wonderful bread, very simple to make, but tastes like something from a nice bakery. Yum!plugginalong
Jul 16, 2008
this is a great bread to use as a side to an italian dish.i give it a two-thumbs up!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.