- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 3 tablespoons cold butter or stick margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients; mix well. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. In another bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt and milk. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Spoon into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into wedges. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forRustic Round Herb Bread
"i didn't care for this at all. It was grainy and i could taste the baking soda."
"The only problem I have with this bread is that I want it all for myself!I have subbed sour cream if I find I'm out of yogurt with great results."
"Similar to a cheesy drop biscuit"
"This is excellent...don't be afraid to try whole wheat flour instead of white if you try to follow a whole grain diet."
"I made this in mass quantity to serve 200! It turned out just as good as if I made it for 10. It is a wonderful bread, very simple to make, but tastes like something from a nice bakery. Yum!plugginalong"
"this is a great bread to use as a side to an italian dish.i give it a two-thumbs up!"