Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/3 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Roll out pastry to fit two 4-1/2-in. tart pans with removable bottoms. Transfer pastry to pans. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. above top of pans; flute edges above edge of pans. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Line shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4-6 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Reduce heat to 375°.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; add the ham and cheese. Spoon into tart shells. Combine egg and cream. Pour over mushroom mixture. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 727 calories, 55g fat (21g saturated fat), 186mg cholesterol, 854mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Rustic Quiches in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook