Rustic Pumpkin Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, pumpkin, oil, eggs and water until blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Pour into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 233 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 14, 2017
Absolutely delicious. Very moist and flavorful. Will make for the holidays. T2z, thank you for the parchment paper idea. It worked great. Also for the lady whose topping falls off when cutting, I usually let my bread cool, wrap in plastic then chill in fridge a couple hours. Cuts so much easier and topping stays on. Hope that helps. Thank you for a great recipe.
Oct 12, 2017
This truly is a delicious pumpkin bread and beyond easy to make. I didn't add the topping, and I don't think I will next time. I love it as is!
Nov 10, 2016
Has anyone tried making a Gluten Free version of this recipe? If so, what did you add or subtract?
Nov 9, 2016
Line with parchment paper so it can be just lifted out of the pan. I exchanged 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 cup of the oil.
Apr 14, 2016
I have been looking for a good pumpkin bread. This is the one. I got the TOH Christmas cookbook for a Christmas present and it was in there. I tried it and everyone liked it. The topping puts it over the top. The only problem I have is when you turn it over to get out of the pan and when you cut it the topping falls off. Have made 2 batches. I use 3 medium sized pans. This will be my go to recipe for Pumpkin Bread. I also used fresh pumpkin so only used 1/2 cup of water as pumpkin was wetter than store bought. It turned out great!
Nov 22, 2015
Wonderful & moist!! The best recipe for the holidays!
Sep 17, 2015
This is a wonderful bread. The only thing I did different was substitute the flour with white whole wheat flour as I didn't have enough regular flour and I had a whole bag of the white whole wheat. I didn't notice any difference. The bread was very moist and delicious. The next time I may use more pecans and more of the spices. The topping made the bread yummy. I made two loaves like the recipe said, but one pan slipped out of my hands and landed on the floor as I was taking it out of the oven. Well, the one loaf that survived gave me an idea of how good it turned out. So now I will make two loaves next time and freeze one. Hopefully, the next time I won't be as clumsy. Fantastic recipe. This may just be my go to recipe when I want to make pumpkin bread. It's a keeper!
Dec 18, 2014
Favorite pumpkin bread recipe!!!! Great flavor and it was very moist. I didn't make the topping bc I was trying to cut out some calories. But I thought the bread was great without it.
Dec 5, 2014
I added 1/2 cup of sour cream to the recipe, makes it even more moist!
Oct 29, 2014
Perfect anytime of year, great taste....will be baking several for Thanksgiving
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.