- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) fresh spinach, torn
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, rice, cottage cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella, lemon juice and peel; set aside. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add spinach, raisins, cinnamon and salt. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining mozzarella.
- Spritz one sheet of phyllo dough with butter-flavored spray. Place in a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray, allowing short sides of dough to hang over edges. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- Place remaining phyllo sheets in pie plate in a crisscross fashion resembling the spokes of a wheel, spritzing between layers with butter-flavored spray. Spread half of rice mixture into crust; layer with half of spinach mixture and half of spaghetti sauce. Repeat layers.
- Gently fold edges of dough over filling, leaving center of pie uncovered. Spritz with butter-flavored spray. Cover loosely with foil; bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until filling reaches 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forRustic Phyllo Vegetable Pie
"Great meatless meal. I used puff pastry instead of the phyllo and it was very good."