Milk gives this bread a soft tender crust that appeals to all. All-purpose, whole wheat and rye flours blend beautifully in this family-favorite recipe.
Recommended: 33 Non-Scary Bread Recipes Anyone Can Bake
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, rye flour, sugars, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk, water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four pieces. Roll each into a 15-in. rope. Twist two ropes together; pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled,a bout 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Rustic Multi-Grain Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p48
Reviews forRustic Multi-Grain Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 17, 2010
"I rate this bread SUPER! I make it again and again."