- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Add tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with cheese if desired.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled soup in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
Sort By :
"Fantastic satisfying weeknight meal. I made it vegetarian using vegetable broth and Tofurkey sun dried tomato and basil Italian "sausage". Delicious!"
"Perfect! There is a reason so many people have given this recipe 5 stars."
"A favorite for sure. Made it 3 times so far, used tomatoes out of my garden but otherwise followed the recipe. Delicious!"
"I love this soup!!! I cook the tortellini before adding it to the soup at the end."
"loved it - used hot italian sausage."