Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until almost tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted and tortellini are tender. Serve with cheese if desired.Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled soup in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 203 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 12, 2018
I usually twerk a recipe to my own taste. This was perfect as is. It will be a staple recipe in our house. Thank you!
Jun 14, 2018
I loved this soup soon as I tried it at a lunch I went to. So I tried it at home and my husband absolutely loved it too. It's now my go to soup and I just change it up by using different meats such as Johnsonville brats sliced then cooked or taken out of the casings & cooked and I use chicken breasts too.
May 24, 2018
Yummy. Doesn't freeze well with the tortellini in it.
Mar 26, 2018
I do not post many reviews, but have taken TOH magazine since it started an I am a big fan. I did want to post this soup recipe because it is delicious ! When I make a recipe for the 1st time I usually follow it as I did this one, with the exception of I used all broth an no water, which was 3 cans. I could not find turkey links this time so I used Johnsonville Chicken Garlic links an just sliced them up an browned them with the onion. I thought this would taste bland without adding other seasonings but, I was wrong. It tasted great! Thank you Tracy for this gem!
Mar 22, 2018
My whole family loved this soup! Such delicious flavor! I substituted a large can of tomato soup for the diced tomatoes and used ground sweet Italian sausage in place of the turkey sausage. I will definitely make this again for my family.
Jan 17, 2018
This soup was amazing! I thought since it had limited ingredients and was a quick soup it would lack in flavor but that was not the case. The only thing I did differently was use spicy bulk sausage. This one is a keeper.
Jan 4, 2018
This is my go to soup when asked to bring soup to a function. It's always a hit and I'm asked for the recipe. The only change I made was to use a pound of italian sausage or hot italian, depending on where it's going. Thanks for sharing I love this soup!!
Dec 22, 2017
This was really really good... I love soups and I do 95% of all the cooking in the house.. My wife only realy will eat soups in the winter( to me that's just crazy.. Soups are awesome) wife and both kids couldn't get enough( with the kids both 16 arguing about how to split the last bowls worth.. The changes and additions I made are for the proteins I used 4 boneless chicken thighs diced and browned in pot. 2 chicken sausage links with sun dried tomatoes browned in skillet then sliced.. For the water I used more chicken broth.. I also added 2 large carrots sliced and a mid to small zucchini halfed length ways and sliced . I half the amount of garlic and added salted to taste (prob about 1/2 teaspoon) and I added the sausage at the same time as the tortellini
Nov 28, 2017
Absolutely loved this! My mom wouldn't eat it because of the pasta, but too bad for her!! I made half the recipe since it was just myself to eat it. Had it for lunch for a few days too, but that was okay! I used hot pork sausage, but I like things hot! Would definitely make again, especially during a winter storm.....nummy!!
Oct 13, 2017
This is one of our family favorites!