Rustic Eggplant Dip
One summer I came up with this recipe after I harvested loads of eggplants, tomatoes and herbs from my garden. You can also grill the eggplants for extra flavor. —Debra Keil, Owasso, OK
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, halved and seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh oregano, thyme and basil
- 2 mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Baked pita chips or pita wedges
- Cut stems from eggplants; pierce several times with a fork. Place eggplants and red pepper on a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Rub 2 tablespoons oil over vegetables.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Cool slightly. Peel and coarsely chop eggplants; coarsely chop red pepper.
- In a food processor, combine the tomatoes, onion, parsley, lemon juice, vinegar, herbs, salt, pepper, eggplants, red pepper and remaining oil. Cover and process until blended.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Serve with pita chips.