Rustic Autumn Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes13 servings (3-1/4 quarts)
- 5 medium parsnips, chopped
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted sweet red pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Optional garnish: additional cooked finely chopped carrots, parsnips and/or apples, fresh chives
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first 14 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan; add cream and heat through. Garnish with additional cooked vegetables and/or apples and chives.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 134 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 384mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Dec 21, 2013
Yummy blend of Fall/Winter flavors. The parsnips really shine in this recipe. I used a stick blender to purée (best kitchen appliance ever!). The only thing I would change next (and there will be a next time) is to use less cream. 2 cups really mellows the flavor. Next time I will only use 1 cup or even just 1/2 to round out the flavors. As one reviewer suggested, it's probably just as tasty without the cream (and even less caloric)!
Apr 11, 2013
i made this again and added 1 tsp of curry paste awesome gave it more flavour
Feb 7, 2013
this was so easy to make and the taste was great and such a healthy soup i would make it over and over again
Jan 27, 2013
We liked this although we usually eat spicier.
Jan 3, 2013
My entire family loves this soup. It's so easy and delicious! I save time by using my food processor to slice the veggies. Then they don't have to cook as long, and the food processor is out when it's time to puree the soup. It is just as tasty without the half and half.
Dec 8, 2012
Very good with a lot of flavor. Everyone enjoyed it even those who are not fans of soup and picky eaters. I will make this again soon.
Nov 18, 2012
Not a fan of the flavor of these veggies together. It sounded very nice, looking at the recipe, but left alot to be desired. Not sure what it was lacking..that special 'flavor' of something. Could have done without the tarragon taste also. Not my fav. Sorry. Don't waste your money on these ingredients making this dish.
Nov 16, 2012
Fabulous flavor. I didn't have parsnips to put in more turnips and a bit more sweet potato and it was scrumptious!
Nov 16, 2012
This soup was excellent. The only thing I changed was instead of using a medium turnip I used two bunches of baby turnip. My mom and I loved the soup and even my husband who doesen't like sweet potato or any kind of squash, loved this soup. It smelled wonderful while cooking. This is a keeper.
May 16, 2012
This soup was delicious. I loved all the vegetables - they made the soup thick and rich without being high in calories. I made this for our annual Christmas party for friends and everyone loved it. Terrific recipe. I didn't change anything.