This is one of my family's favorite recipes, so I make it for them frequently. The tender beef strips in a mushroom sauce taste so good over noodles. —Wendy Stenman
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles
- Combine flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, cook beef in batches in oil until no longer pink; remove.
- Add onion and garlic; saute until tender. Add the mushrooms, tomato sauce, water, bouillon granules, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Return beef to the pan. Stir in sour cream; heat gently (do not boil). Serve immediately over noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 419 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 1429mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 38g protein.
Originally published as Russian Stroganoff in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.