Rugelach with a Twist
Once I read about making rugelach with ice cream, there was no stopping me! My family loved these flaky cookies so much, I had to bake more right away. —Diane Fuqua, Baltimore, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, melted
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Beat butter and flour until blended. Beat in ice cream. Divide dough into four portions; shape each into a disk. Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix pecans and chocolate chips. In another bowl, mix sugars and cinnamon. Roll each portion of dough into a 10-in. circle; sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons of the sugar mixture and about 1/3 cup of the pecan mixture. Gently press pecan mixture into the dough. Cut each circle into 8 wedges; roll up from wide ends. Place 1 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets, point side down. Whisk together egg and water; brush over pastries.
- Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 151 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Originally published as Rugelach with a twist in Taste of Home November 2016