Red cabbage is one of the crops grown here on Long Island, and this recipe is one of the ways I most like to use it. This salad is a pretty addition to any meal.
Recommended: 21 Best Make-and-Take Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium head red cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium head green cabbage (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 5 tablespoons vinegar, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium red apples, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or dried chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Thinly slice or shred cabbage; place in an 8-qt. Dutch oven. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar. Cover and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until cabbage is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Add onion, apples, sugar, mustard and remaining vinegar. Cook, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes. Place mixture in a large bowl; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until completely cool. Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Originally published as Ruby Slaw in Country February/March 1996, p51
Reviews forRuby Slaw
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 8, 2017
"This pretty slaw is the perfect accompaniment to fish!! It taste wonderful!!"