Ruby Red Spinach Salads
These fabulous salads blend contrasting flavors deliciously. Pomegranate seeds add vibrant color, a pleasant crunch and a healthy dose of vitamin C. —Veronica Callaghan, Glastonbury, Connecticut
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 tablespoons red grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 2 large red grapefruit, sectioned
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shaved Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. Remove fronds from fennel; set aside for garnish. Cut bulb into thin slices and coarsely chop the slices. In a large bowl, combine the chopped fennel, grapefruit and spinach. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss to coat.
- Divide salad among four plates; sprinkle cheese and pomegranate seeds over salads. Garnish with fennel fronds.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 132 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Fennel, Grapefruit and Spinach Salad with Pecorino and Pomegrante in Country Woman December/January 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.