Ruby Grapefruit and Shortcakes
Tender biscuits are filled with sweetened cream and grapefruit sections for a wonderful, wintry spin on strawberry shortcake.—Karla Johnson, East Helena, Montana
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup ruby red grapefruit juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) grapefruit sections, drained
- GINGER WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and ginger just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Pat or roll out to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with cream; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place grapefruit juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat. Add grapefruit; toss gently to coat.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in ginger.
- Split warm shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon filling over bottoms; replace tops and garnish with whipped cream.
To Make Ahead: Grapefruit mixture can be made the day before serving. For best results, make biscuits the same day that they are served.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 606 calories, 29g fat (18g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 562mg sodium, 81g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.