The hearty noon meal at our spring cattle roundup always features these sweet, smoky beans. Neighbors gather to help for a day of work and socialization.—Jenny Hughson, Mitchell, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green pepper
- 3 cans (53 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 cup ketchup
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In large Dutch ovens, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 79 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Roundup-Day Beans in Taste of Home June/July 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips