Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds), cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot pepper sauce, shredded cheddar cheese and additional chopped onion, optional
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, flank steak, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, beans, chilies and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until steak is tender.
- Serve with the hot pepper sauce, cheese and onion if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 309 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1187mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 21, 2019
Best chili I've ever made!
Oct 9, 2018
The BEST chili we have ever had! My husband and I have been using this recipe for years and it’s still our favorite!! We’ve made a few adjustments for our personal preferences, but this recipe is delicious!
Jan 27, 2018
This is a GREAT chili recipe! The whole family LOVED it and said it was a "keeper!" (I did whisk in some all-purpose unbleached flour about 3/4 through the cooking time to thicken it up as our family prefers thick chili, but that was the only change I made.) Delicious!
Nov 2, 2014
Oct 15, 2014
Very very good! A Tiny bite
Jan 1, 2014
A very good chili recipe! I'll make this one again.
Jan 1, 2014
Definitely my favorite chili recipe! I forgot to buy celery so I used 1 tsp celery salt and didn't add any additional salt. I love the mixture of spices rather than using a packaged chili seasoning mix.
Mar 18, 2011
Delicious/ My family doesn't like things too spicey so I cut back all the spices/perfect