"There's no need to brown the steak first, so you can get this main course into the oven in short order," relates Sue Call from Beech Grove, Indiana. The fork-tender results are sure to remind you of Swiss steak Grandma used to make, with lots of sauce left over for dipping.
Recommended: Top 10 Dinner Recipes Under 500 Calories
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds boneless round steak (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- Hot cooked noodles
- Trim beef; cut into serving-size pieces. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with pepper. Top with the onion, mushrooms and tomato sauce. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Oven Swiss Steak in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p43
Reviews forRound Steak
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 17, 2014
"Very tender, wonderful sauce for mashed potatoes or rice!"