Round Steak Beef Rouladen
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak
- 6 bacon strips, halved
- 12 small garlic dill pickles
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut steak into twelve 4x3-in. pieces; flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Place a bacon piece and pickle along a short side of each; roll up and secure with toothpicks. In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown roll-ups on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining oil. Stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Gradually blend in broth and savory, stirring constantly. Return roll-ups to pan. Cover and cook over low heat for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 441 calories, 28g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1242mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein.
Mar 25, 2016
This recipe was ok. I guess I'm looking for something closer to what my mom use to make.
Nov 14, 2013
I've made this Rouladen recipe in the past and it is excellent and authentic. Rouladen is a particular favorite of my older son, who requested I make it for his birthday this year. I add a teaspoon of bread crumbs to the bacon and pickle before rolling up each piece of flattened steak and I add a tablespoon of drained capers to the gravy. I always serve the Rouladen over homemade spaetzel. Delicious!