Rotkohl (Red Cabbage)
Red cabbage is one of my family's favorite German dishes! It goes well with many meat dishes, especially those served for special occasions. The longer it cooks, the better! —Cathy Lemmon, Quinlan, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine or grape juice
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 3 medium apples, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Place the peppercorns, bay leaves and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag.
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add the cabbage, apples, salt, pepper and spice bag.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar. Discard spice bag. Serve with a slotted spoon.