Rosy Rhubarb Salad
This is one of my favorite springtime recipes. But if you freeze strawberries and rhubarb, you can make this salad most any time of year. You'll find it a little tart, and light and cool - just right for those warmer days ahead.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 4 cups diced raw or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb, water and sugar. Cook over medium heat until rhubarb is tender. In a large bowl, combine hot rhubarb and gelatin. Stir until dissolved. Add applesauce, orange juice and peel. Chill until syrupy. Fold in strawberries. Pour into a lightly greased 5-6 cup mold. Chill until set, about 4 hours or overnight.