Rosy Rhubarb Dessert
Elsie Wigdahl bakes this comforting almond-and-rhubarb delight in her Ruthven, Iowa kitchen. "This sure-to-please dessert is quick and easy," she says.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup strawberry gelatin powder
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup choppeed sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Arrange rhubarb evenly in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Combine sugar and gelatin powder; sprinkle over rhubarb. Sprinkle dry cake mix over gelatin mixture. Pour hot water over cake mix (do not stir). Top with coconut and almonds. Drizzle with butter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 288 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Rosy Rhubarb Dessert in Quick Cooking March/April 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.