Rosemary Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups dried split peas, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 pound ground pork or turkey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large kettle or Dutch oven, saute celery, onion, garlic and rosemary in butter until tender. Add broth, peas and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until peas are soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. For meatballs, combine pork or turkey, rosemary and pepper. Shape into 1/2-inch balls. In a skillet, brown meatballs until no pink remains, about 5 to 10 minutes. Ladle half of the cooled soup into a blender or food processor; puree. Return soup to the kettle along with the meatballs and heat through. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup: 359 calories, 13g fat (0 saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Rosemary Split Pea Soup