VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups dried split peas, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 pound ground pork or turkey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion, garlic and rosemary in butter until tender. Add the broth, peas and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until peas are soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- For meatballs, combine the pork, rosemary and pepper. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs until no pink remains, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle half of the cooled soup into a blender or food processor; puree. Return soup to the kettle along with the meatballs and heat through. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Rosemary Split Pea Soup in Taste of Home October/November 1993, p41
Reviews forRosemary Split Pea Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 12, 2013