VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups dried split peas, rinsed
- 1/2 pound ground turkey breast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, saute the celery, onion, garlic and rosemary in butter until tender. Add broth, peas and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until peas are soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- For meatballs, combine pork or turkey, rosemary and pepper. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. In a skillet, brown meatballs until no longer pink. Ladle half of the cooled soup into a blender or food processor; puree. Return soup to the kettle along with the meatballs and heat through. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Rosemary Split Pea Soup in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p98