Rosemary Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
When it's time to get back to baking, you'll want to try this delicious scratch pineapple upside-down cake with a twist...a bit of fresh rosemary is sprinkled over the pineapple to create an unexpected, but superb flavor combination. Paula Marchesi, Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania, says this cake has been such a hit at church dinners that she now brings two or three.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 6 canned unsweetened pineapple slices, drained
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- Fresh rosemary sprigs, optional
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter; pour into 9-in. round baking pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and rosemary. Top with pineapple slices; set aside.
- In a small bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Spoon over pineapple.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan; invert cake onto a serving plate. Cool completely. Garnish with rosemary sprigs if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 264 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Pineapple & Rosemary Upside-Down Cake in Light & Tasty August/September 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.