Guests will fall in love at first sight of this impressive citrus and savory herb roasted chicken—a big hit when my best friend’s mom came for a visit. —Sarah Vasques, Milford, New Hampshire
Featured In: 14 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes for Four
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 medium apple, quartered
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 cups white wine or chicken broth
- Chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, minced rosemary, orange peel and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the chicken; rub butter mixture under the skin. Brush chicken with orange juice. Sprinkle salt and remaining pepper over chicken and inside cavity.
- Place one onion and half of the apple inside the cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Arrange the carrot, celery, thyme, parsley, bay leaves, rosemary sprig and remaining onion and apple around chicken. Pour wine into pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with drippings. Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
- For gravy, pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat. Add enough broth to the drippings to measure 1 cup. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth mixture and nutmeg if desired. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Rosemary-Orange Roasted Chicken in Simple & Delicious December/January 2012, p41
Reviews forRosemary-Orange Roasted Chicken
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 27, 2012
"Whole family enjoyed very tasty."
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2012
"I'd probably give it 4.5 stars. The gravy is also great. This one is definitely a keeper."