Rosemary Orange Bread
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- Additional fresh rosemary and whole peppercorns, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add orange juice, honey, oil, rosemary, salt, orange zest and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Roll into a 15x1-in. rectangle. Starting at a short end, roll up jelly-roll style. Pinch edges to seal and shape into an oval. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Whisk egg white; brush over loaf. Place small sprigs of rosemary and peppercorns on top if desired. Bake 25 minutes longer or until browned. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool.
1 slice: 130 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 11, 2019Just not for my taste. It did have a nice crumb. I used frozen orange zest I had in the freezer. Rosemary flavor was overpowering and no orange flavor.
Aug 20, 2019Excellent! Made almost exactly as written, I added more orange peel and I added a 1/2 tsp. of thyme because my rosemary looked too dried out and the date on bottle was a month out of date. Very nice orange flavor and I will probably add more orange peel next time. It is so fluffy and favorable. The recipe calls for I think 2 tablespoons of oil, but I only added 1/2 tbsp. and it was still fluffy and delicious. Make this, you won't be sorry that you did!
Feb 1, 2013
Wonderful bread! Very light taste of both orange and rosemary. The orange came from our orange tree and the rosemary from our herb garden.