My wife and I enjoyed a rosemary-lemon coffee cake at a bed and breakfast many years ago. I decided to try adapting my favorite scone recipe to capture that unusual flavor combination, and we loved the results. —David Byland, Shawnee, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk sour cream and egg; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in lemon zest and rosemary. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges, but do not separate. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake at 400° until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 scone: 263 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.