Rosemary Corn Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 7-1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn, divided
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onions, carrot and celery in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add 3-1/2 cups corn, broth, rosemary, garlic and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool; process in batches in a blender or food processor until pureed. Return to the pan.
- In a small skillet, saute red pepper in remaining butter until tender. Add to corn mixture. Stir in cream and remaining corn; heat through, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 239 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 789mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein.
Mar 10, 2016
Sorry, but this was a disappointment for my husband and me. I thought it would be wonderful and checked to make certain I had made it as written after my husband said it didn't do anything for him. I made it exactly as written and thought it didn't have much flavor; just tasted like cream corn. If I were to make it again I would double the rosemary as we couldn't taste it.
Oct 1, 2015
My husband who hates soups had seconds and asked me to put this as a "go to"!
Jun 10, 2015
This is a "5"-er for our family! Tastes like it could have come from a restaurant! Certainly not a "30-Minute Meal", but well worth the efforts of the cook at home. I don't alter a thing, either, and I can't say that about too many recipes of mine! This is one of the few soups I am willing to make in the summer, due to the abundance of fresh corn.
Nov 1, 2014
A delicious, delicate-tasting soup.
Feb 21, 2014
Excellent flavour, make this often, freezes well
May 2, 2010
This recipe is an autumn favourite of mine. I like to mix white and yellow fresh corn depending on what's in the supermarket. If time is an issue though the frozen kernels work just as well.