- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- Vanilla Glaze
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; cool liquid to 110°-115°. Mash potatoes; set aside to cool to 110°-115°.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the mashed potatoes, cooking liquid, sugar, butter, salt, egg and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Gently roll each into a 12-in. rope. Holding one end of rope, loosely wrap dough, forming a coil. Tuck end under; pinch to seal. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. With thumb, make a 1-in. indentation in center of each coil. Fill with cherry pie filling. Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze.
1 each: 178 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 31, 1969
this rolls are so good but only one thing don't bake them at 350- it's better at 375 till they turn golden brown.But they are really good.