Rose Petal Honey
This delicious recipe is a perfect topping for toast or English muffins. It is so simple to make and will impress guests at tea.—Mary Kay Dixson, Decatur, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1 cup
- 1 cup packed rose petals (about 6 medium roses)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pouch (3 ounces) liquid fruit pectin
- In a large saucepan, combine rose petals, water and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until petals lose their color. Strain, reserving liquid and discarding petals. Return liquid to the saucepan.
- Stir in sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in pectin. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Pour into a jar and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 weeks.
Editor's NoteVerify that flowers are edible and have not been treated with chemicals.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 39 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Rose Petal Honey in Birds & Blooms April/May 1995