This dish's pretty harvest colors make it any eye-catching addition to the Thanksgiving table. It's a fix-it-and-forget-it favorite of mine. —Cathryn White, Newark, Delaware
Recommended: Top 10 Turnip Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups pearl onions
- 2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen brussels sprouts, thawed
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add the pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; peel.
- In a large roasting pan, combine the onions, potatoes, rutabaga, parsnips and carrots. Drizzle with butter and oil. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Cover and bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Uncover; stir in brussels sprouts and garlic. Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Root Vegetables in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p137
Reviews forRoot Vegetables
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 31, 2010
"This was so wonderful! The vegetables cooked evenly and had a terrific flavor together!"