Root Vegetable Soup with Sausage Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 10 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Crumble sausage into a stockpot. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the vegetables, water, broth, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; whisk in cream. Heat through (do not boil). Yield: 20 servings (1 cup each).
1 cup: 177 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Root Vegetable Soup with Sausage
"Loved the soup made exactly as suggested but used hot sausage. No one could figure out the spices but they all loved it."
"I didn't use turnip and I substituted Venison Sausage and it was fantastic. Made a double batch to share with neighbors and family."
"I felt that this soup could have used a few more spices. I felt it was a bit bland."