Root Vegetable Soup with Sausage
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes20 servings (1 cup each)
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
- 10 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Crumble sausage into a stockpot. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the vegetables, water, broth, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return to the pan; whisk in cream. Heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 177 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 20, 2016
Loved the soup made exactly as suggested but used hot sausage. No one could figure out the spices but they all loved it.
Nov 11, 2013
I've made this soup many times and we love it. The quality of the sausage, even though its a small amount, lends a lot to the spice of the soup. It makes a large batch and freezes well.
Oct 1, 2012
Served it as the first course at Christmas dinner, it was a huge hit. Sent everyone home with the leftovers
Sep 17, 2011
I didn't use turnip and I substituted Venison Sausage and it was fantastic. Made a double batch to share with neighbors and family.
Sep 15, 2011
I felt that this soup could have used a few more spices. I felt it was a bit bland.
Dec 16, 2010
Love this! I make this without the cream, pour it into small freezer bags & freeze it. Then I can pull out just a small portion when I need my own personal bowl of soup. I add the cream after it defrosts. This soup is thick & creamy & the sausage is just fun. A luxury. A comfort food.