I count on my slow cooker to do the honors when I have a house full of summer guests. Teenagers especially love DIY nachos. Try cola, ginger ale or lemon-lime soda if you’re not into root beer. —James Schend, Taste of Home Food Editor
Recommended: Potluck-Ready Summer Slow Cooker Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer or cola
- 12 cups tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Pico de gallo, chopped green onions and sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine pork roast and root beer. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-9 hours.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Return to slow cooker; keep warm.
- To serve, drain pork. Layer tortilla chips with pork, cheese, tomatoes and, if desired, optional toppings. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Root Beer Pulled Pork Nachos in Taste of Home June/July 2017