- 4 ounces Romano cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 4 lemon slices
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine the cheese, basil, lemon slices and garlic. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; place mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Rub skin with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place turkey over drip pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170° and juices run clear. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forRomano Basil Turkey Breast
"This was the best turkey breast I've ever eaten. The one I bought was about 6 1/2 lbs so I grilled it for about 2 hours, 45 mins. I used 2 long metal skewers to secure the turkey skin, which worked great and made it easy to maneuver. I also cut off the lemon rind when slicing so it basically broke into small pieces which worked out well when mixed with the other ingredients. Also, I made sure to rest it for the full 10 mins and removed half of the breast in one piece and sliced crosswise so I wouldn't lose the delicious crusty skin. Definitely a keeper!"
"I haven't made this yet. Wondering how this would do in a roster oven."
"This recipe sounds good, but in reality the flavors of the basil and romano don't penetrate the meat, the the flavor is all just in the crust, and when I sliced my roast the basil & romano mixture fell off, didn't present like the picture."