Romaine Salad with Vanilla Bean Dressing
Vanilla bean infuses a tangy dressing with lots of great flavor. The addition of dried apricots in the salad adds a sweet twist.—Virginia Crowell, Stayton, Oregon
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup dried apricots, sliced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- In small saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, onion, pepper, and salt. Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds; add bean and seeds to water mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cool.
- Discard vanilla bean; pour mixture into a blender. Cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- Divide romaine among eight salad plates; top with apricots, pine nuts and cheese. Drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons dressing.
To Make Ahead: Prepare salad dressing up to 3 days in advance; cover and store in the refrigerator. Stir well before using.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 338 calories, 27g fat (5g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Hearts of Romaine with Vanilla Bean Dressing in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.