Romaine Salad with Vanilla Bean Dressing
Vanilla bean infuses a tangy dressing with lots of great flavor. The addition of dried apricots in the salad adds a sweet twist.—Virginia Crowell, Stayton, Oregon
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup dried apricots, sliced
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- In small saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, onion, pepper, and salt. Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds; add bean and seeds to water mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cool.
- Discard vanilla bean; pour mixture into a blender. Cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- Divide romaine among eight salad plates; top with apricots, pine nuts and cheese. Drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons dressing.
To Make Ahead: Prepare salad dressing up to 3 days in advance; cover and store in the refrigerator. Stir well before using.