Romaine Pecan Salad with Shrimp Skewers
This colorful salad is nice to serve in the winter when oranges are in season and at their peak. The pleasing dressing recipe, provided by the Canola Info Association, takes just seconds to whirl together in a blender.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) ready-to-serve romaine lettuce
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 3/4 cup pecan halves, toasted
- In a blender or food processor, combine first seven ingredients. Cover and blend until smooth and creamy. Reserve 1/4 cup dressing; set aside. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing.
- On metal or soaked bamboo skewers, thread shrimp. Brush shrimp with one-half of reserved dressing. Sprinkle with pepper if desired. Arrange skewers on rack in broiler pan. Broil 3-4 in. from heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink, basting with remaining reserved dressing halfway through cooking time. Serve warm or refrigerate shrimp until serving.
- In a salad bowl, combine lettuce, orange segments and pecans. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Divide salad among serving plates. Arrange shrimp skewers over salad. Serve immediately.
Originally published as Romaine Pecan Salad with Shrimp Skewers in Taste of Home's Holiday Recipe Card Collection 2005