I like to keep some of this dough in the freezer at all times since it's so handy to slice, bake and serve at a moment's notice. These wholesome cookies are super with a cup of coffee - in fact, we occasionally grab a few for breakfast when we're in a hurry. -Kathi Peters, Chilliwack, British Columbia
Recommended: 27 People Foods to Share With Your Dog
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in water and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Shape into two 1-1/2 in. rolls; wrap tightly in waxed paper. Chill for 2 hours or until firm.
- Cut into 1/2-in. slices and place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Rolled Oat Cookies in Taste of Home October/November 1995, p27
Reviews forRolled Oat Cookies
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 25, 2017
"I made these over the years and everyone loves them. They're not all that sweet just plain good!!"