Roll-Out Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Food coloring, optional
- 1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and extracts. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. (Dough will be very stiff. If necessary, stir in the last cup of flour mixture by hand. Do not chill.) On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out cookies into desired shapes. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 6-7 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes before removing to wire racks; cool completely. For glaze, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup until smooth. Tint with food coloring if desired. Using a small brush and stirring glaze often, brush on cookies, decorating as desired. Yield: about 6 dozen (2-1/4 inch cookies).
2 each: 145 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Roll-Out Cookies
"Now my favorite Sugar/Cutout cookie! easy to make and fast. No chilling time. Just roll cut and bake in 6-8 min. Perfect. My kids loved sampling the dough (though many don't allow children to eat batter with raw egg). It's pasteurized so we don't worry. I used all Vanilla Extract. Not the 1/2 teaspoon. Lemon Extract. Anyway, before icing or sugaring , they delighted in the cookie by itself as do I but Icing or Sugaring before baking will add the extra sweetness it needs to be a Sugar cookie. Winner! Thank you for sharing."
"The only sugar cookie my family lets me make now! A little lemon or orange zest makes a nice addition too."
"Great flavor, I generally don't care for cut out cookies, they are bland to me, this recipe is easy, and yummy. NO CHILLING either :)"
"Forgot to add that I used preheated stones to bake these in a convection oven and had to reduce the cooking time to 5 minutes as the first batch were slightly overcooked. Yum!"
"These cookies turned out great. I was concerned that they would not keep their shape when baked because the recipe does not call for refrigeration before rolling/baking. They held their shape perfectly and I will use this as my only cutout cookie recipe due to its simplicity and taste. They have a very delicate shortbread taste."