- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons caramel ice cream topping
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Meanwhile, for frosting, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa in a small bowl; whisk in cream and vanilla until smooth. While cake is still hot, drizzle with half of the caramel topping and half of the frosting. Sprinkle with marshmallows; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until marshmallows are softened.
- Drizzle with remaining caramel topping; sprinkle with nuts. Drizzle with remaining frosting. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews forRocky Road Chocolate Cake
"I've used this recipe and it's great! I omitted the chopped pecans and used 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips in the cake batter. I also used 2 eggs, 1/3 cup each vegetable oil and cold water, 1 envelope of cappuccino mix, 1/4 cup chocolate syrup, 1 Tbsp. vanilla, 1 package of chocolate pudding mix (instant)-3.9 oz., 1/8 cup all-purpose flour for the cake and baked in a greased and floured 13x9x2" baking pan for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean. I used 1/4 cup of half and half or evaporated milk and used butterscotch ice cream topping if caramel topping isn't available. I kept the confectioner's sugar, cocoa and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract the same. Thank you, Sherry Thompson, for sharing your recipe!delowenstein"