Not your ordinary birthday cake, this dessert requires almost no countdown-just start with a purchased ice cream cake roll, then frost and decorate it for takeoff. (We used construction paper to make the rocket's fins and cone.)
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 each prepared ice cream cake roll (1-1/4 pounds) and slices Italian bread
- 1 can (16 ounces) or 2 cups vanilla frosting
- Blue and red construction paper
- Place ice cream roll vertically on a 10-in. plate. Frost top and sides. From blue construction paper, cut out four fins about 2-1/4-in. high and 1-1/2-in. deep. Insert fins along bottom edge of cake.
- For the nose cone, draw an 8-in. circle on red construction paper. With a pencil, mark eight equal sections. Cut out a three-eighths section and discard; tape cut sides together to form a cone. Place on top of cake. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 417 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (58g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Rocket Cake in Quick Cooking Premiere 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.