Robust Beef Sandwiches
Before you go sledding or skating, be sure to prepare this dish from Esther Hull of Buckley, Illinois. It will warm nicely in the oven while you play—and be ready to serve by the time you come in from the cold, she assures.—Esther Hull, Buckley, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours 10 min. + chilling
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 hot yellow peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, onion salt and garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and Italian seasoning
- 12 to 16 hard rolls
- Place roast, water and bouillon in a roasting pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; strain broth. Chill broth and meat separately until meat is firm; cut into thin slices. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring broth, peppers and seasonings to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes. Pour over met. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour, or refrigerate overnight before baking. Serve on rolls.