Roasted Turkey with Cornbread Dressing
"THE DRESSING was always my favorite part of the meal. I can still smell the wonderful aroma that filled the house while the turkey roasted in our wood stove. We could hardly wait to sit down and eat!"
Total TimePrep: 70 min. + cooling Bake: 4-1/2 hours
Makes8-10 servings (10 cups dressing)
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/4 cups chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the milk, oil and egg; pour over cornmeal mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Crumble cornbread into a large bowl. Add the parsley, poultry seasoning and pepper; toss. Combine egg substitute and 3/4 cup butter; add to the cornbread mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Just before baking, stuff the turkey with dressing. Skewer or fasten openings. Tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with remaining butter. Place remaining dressing in a greased baking dish; cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Bake turkey at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and the thigh reaches at least 170°. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil.
- Bake extra dressing at 325° for 1 hour. When turkey is done, let stand for 20 minutes before carving. Remove all dressing to a serving bowl.
Editor's NoteAs a substitute for 1 cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup. Add all-purpose flour to measure 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 983 calories, 51g fat (20g saturated fat), 322mg cholesterol, 1120mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 81g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.