- 3 pounds tomatoes, cored
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place tomatoes in a roasting pan; drizzle with 1/4 cup oil. Sprinkle with garlic and thyme. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour, turning occasionally. In a large saucepan, saute onion in remaining oil until softened. Add roasted tomatoes and basil; cook for 5 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Put through a sieve or food mill; return puree to pan. In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm cream (do not boil). Stir cream, salt and pepper into soup. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forRoasted Tomato Soup
"easy and tastes great! Next time I will only use half the garlic."