Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
I like to serve this golden soup from my great-grandmother at holiday dinners. Not only is it a great first course, it's also a satisfying meal for my vegetarian friends.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes12 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas, optional
- Place sweet potatoes and onions in separate greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15 minutes, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, combine 1/2 cup broth, soy sauce, maple syrup and garlic; drizzle over onions and toss to coat. Bake potatoes and onions 15-20 minutes longer or until tender.
- In a blender, cover and process potatoes and remaining broth in batches until smooth. Transfer mixture to a Dutch oven; add onion mixture and pepper. Heat through. Garnish with pumpkin seeds if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup (calculated without pumpkin seeds): 107 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 618mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Sweet Potato and Maple Roasted Onion Soup in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011