To make my potato salad look bright and taste extra-festive, I add Mexicorn and black beans. With the zesty dressing, it’s the best!—Jeannie Trudell, Del Norte, Colorado
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 8 medium)
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 large)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Peel and cut potatoes and sweet potatoes into 3/4-in. cubes. Place in a large bowl; drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasonings. Toss to coat. Transfer to two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake at 450° for 45-55 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, bacon, onions, red pepper, cilantro and eggs. Combine the mayonnaise, chipotle and sugar; pour over potato mixture and toss to coat. In a small bowl, toss avocado with lime juice; gently stir into salad. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Roasted Sweet and Gold Potato Salad in Country Woman April/May 2011, p31